Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Yellow Effect



Why does yellow make me blue? Good question. I'll give you a hint... the beetle.

Each time I see a yellow beetle on the street, I feel a pang of melancholy. Seems silly, I know. To most people, a car is a means of getting from point A to point B. But to me, my yellow beetle became a part of me. It was an extension of my personality and I loved driving it.

Even before Volkswagen introduced the "new" beetle, it was my dream car...especially in yellow! Buying my yellow bug was a dream come true. It was also a step in declaring my independence. Knowing that my "domestic car" family wouldn't like a foreigner joining the ranks, I researched, test-drove and purchased that car all on my own.

So, when my partnership with my beetle ended abruptly last summer it had more impact (no pun intended) on me than someone that was in an average car accident. I had to make a quick decision to replace my car.

At the time, I made the decision based on my emotional attachment to the yellow bug, and I bought a silver bug. It was newer, less kilometers and even had a sunroof. It had my mechanic's stamp of approval and he gave me a really great price, so I figured I couldn't go wrong. The interior was basically the same, so all the buttons and controls were already familiar.

All went well...until I saw my first yellow beetle. I dare say it was a bit of jealousy! My new beetle is boring old silver. Silver. Ninety percent of the cars out there are silver! OK, if not it seems like it. In my yellow car, I stood out in the crowd. In the silver car, I blend in. It's been an adjustment that I'm still getting used to.

No comments: