Tuesday, December 06, 2011

contemplating cancer

They say that you don't know what you're capable of, until it happens. I suppose that is true in many areas of life and I am learning that with each day.

Last week, my sister Connie was diagnosed with breast cancer. Fortunately, it is a stage one or two cancer and she has surgery booked within 2 weeks with an optimistic prognosis. However, this does not negate the gut-wrenching feeling when you hear those words. They are words that I have heard too many times before, unfortunately.

The first time cancer hit close to home for me, was when my friend Bruce was diagnosed with bladder cancer. It was terribly upsetting to see him go through treatments and the toll it took on him physically. My sister Jo-Anne was next with colon cancer. The reality of that diagnosis was very close... my very own sister...with cancer. This summer my 86 year old aunt was also diagnosed with colon cancer. It has been an emotional rollercoaster seeing her go through recovery with many setbacks. And now, this disease has infiltrated my family once again.

Connie is so strong and brave, she is really amazing me with her attitude. I told her she must be related to Peggy (who has had nothing but spunk and determination throughout her ordeal). I know that she will come out an even stronger person.

Love you Pink Powderpuff :)



1 comment:

carmilevy said...

Thinking of you all at this time, Janice. I've learned first-hand how powerful the support of family can be in navigating life after a diagnosis. And if I've learned anything from you in recent months, it's just how strong your family is.

Cancer doesn't stand a chance.