Friday, May 04, 2012

Thoughts on dads, weeds and memories.

Thank goodness for Dads. They really come through when it comes to projects around the house, don't you find? Since becoming a home owner last year, my Dad has been most helpful. In fact, I think the house has become a bonding agent for us.

This week he helped me out with my pathetic lawn. Somehow weeds have overtaken where the grass should be and it was looking rather ragged. I think it actually bothered Dad more than it bothered me, so we made a date for him to come and help me get it under control.

We worked out a system where he raked and I pulled what was left. Of course, we picked the hottest day of the year to do this...and it was humid. Hard work but fulfilling once we sprinkled on the grass seed and stretched out the garden hose to water.

At one point it started to rain. Not intense, but a gentle rain. In those moments I was transported back to when I was a kid and picking up rocks or pulling weeds with my siblings. We would squeal with delight and start to sing "it's beginning to rain rain rain" when the rain started. It meant we could quit and head for the house.

It's funny what triggers a memory and the things that are actually stored in your memory. The rain didn't last this week and we got the job done. Now I just need to wait to see little green shoots appear on my front lawn!

Thanks Dad! You're the best.

No comments: