Tuesday, March 12, 2013

The Incredible Chris Hadfield

Until recently, I didn't really know a lot about Chris Hadfield. I knew he's an astronaut and the Sarnia airport is named after him. And that's about it. However, in December, his name seemed to be popping up everywhere as he made his way into space.

There were reports about him on the news, he was doing interviews with Jian Ghomeshi, and Captain Kirk and even wrote a song with The Barenaked Ladies! His twitter feed contained stunning pictures from outer space and loads of tidbits about what it's like to be an astronaut. I started to really dig this Chris Hadfield guy.

After I was tuned in to what he was doing, his popularity seemed to explode! From elementary school kids to my Grammie, everyone loves him! He's the perfect blend of personality, creativity and science-smart.

One of my favourite moments was when he took this picture of his hometown of Sarnia. Residents of the surrounding area were urged to turn their lights on for a photo as he passed over.  So COOL!

He has taken his mission to space and made it accessible to all of us. Fielding questions about everything from what he eats to how he shaves in the morning, Chris Hadfield has invited us into the ISS. Each time I watch a video clip or read a neat tidbit on twitter, my Canadian heart swells with pride.

Kudos to Commander Chris Hadfield on becoming the first Canadian to command the ISS.

No comments: