Monday, February 13, 2012

Who Is Paul McCartney?

This question popped up on my Facebook feed this morning, linking here. (please excuse the ignorance and use of profanity) I'm assuming this transpired during or following last night's Grammy Awards.

It's a little shocking but also disappointing that (I'm assuming) young people today would not know who this legend is. I experienced something similar when using my Paul McCartney Starbucks card. I handed it to the teenager behind the counter and he looked at it and said "Oh, there's some guy on your card. Weird, I've never seen that one." I responded with "Some guy? That is Paul McCartney." He gave me a blank stare and proceeded with my order.

As you well know, I'm a big fan of McCartney so of course I'm appalled. But even so, I think there is something to be gained from knowing a little bit of pop history. I grew up in the 80s/90s but I still know a lot of music and TV shows from the 70's 60's and beyond. Without those pioneers, we wouldn't have our current pop culture. I think it's more than simply remembering the "good old days"...especially for me. I don't remember those days, but I certainly appreciate what happened in those days. I hope you do too :)

No comments: