Sunday, April 28, 2013

Fiddle Head

Eighteen years ago, while listening to CBC radio, my friend Karla Ann and I discovered a fiddle phenom from Cape Breton. We were intrigued by this celtic infused music and ventured out to "Festival By The Bay" in Sarnia to see what it was all about.

Immediately we were spellbound by Ashley MacIsaac. This young prodigy jumped around the stage attacking his fiddle and coaxing out the most amazing music. After the show, we bought a CD and had it signed. It was fun to chat with Ashley, who was just a few years older than us.

In the months that followed, we hit every show in our area that Mr. MacIsaac was performing. We, along with our friend April, became "fiddle heads". We were slightly ahead of a major trend in Canadian music in the mid 90s. Ashley MacIsaac became a bona fide superstar (in Canada, anyways!) And...we KNEW him. Ha ha. When I look back on those days, I laugh at how crazy we were, but it makes for some fun memories!

This weekend, I took a trip back in time when I saw Ashley again at Sarnia's Imperial Theatre. My cousin Josh had emailed me a while ago to ask if I'd be interested. It was actually a lot of fun and brought back a lot of memories.


No comments: