Sunday, March 18, 2012

St. Patrick's Day Hangover

Today is the day after St. Patrick's Day and I cannot believe the aftermath we are dealing with in London. St. Paddy's revellers in the Fanshawe College area got completely out of hand last night with what started as a mattress burning in the street and ended with a CTV news truck overturned and torched and 11 people being arrested.

I tuned into the story about 1:30am on Twitter. I had been "unplugged" all night and before heading for bed, I checked my email. Some of the tweets that were popping up on my screen caught my attention and as I started to read more of the story I was shocked and disgusted.

Following up on the story today made my stomach turn. As I watched the visuals of people hurling 2x4s, beer bottles and anything else they could get their hands on at police while dancing around a burning vehicle in the street, it made me question where society is headed. These types of destructive mobs have popped up recently in Vancouver and the other London. These people are not even protesting an oppressive government or abusive power...they are simply self indulgent, privileged and ignorant.

Why do people of this generation feel they are entitled to act however they desire with no consequences? It is time for people to take responsibility for their actions and grow up. I sincerely hope that anyone caught on camera (or otherwise identified) are charged and reprimanded appropriately.

No comments: