Monday, July 18, 2011

Ms. Fix It

Last week I experienced my first home repair project. Sure, I've done some things since moving in, but most of them consisted of making a list and having someone else complete the task. Not this time!

I was in the middle of my morning shower and I had just finished rinsing the shampoo from my hair (fortunately!). I had just squirted some facial cleanser into my hand and was lathering it up when all of a sudden the spout where the water comes out FELL OFF! At the same moment, the water which was being redirected up to the shower head started to gush at me at a 90 degree angle! I was able to finish my shower by using the force of water similar to that of a fire hydrant. As I dried off, I tried to gather my thoughts about what I was going to do about this problem.

I picked up the spout and examined it. The end was threaded and it appeared it would just screw back on to the tub. However, when I tried to do this, the taps were in the way. So, I went to my tool box and returned with the appropriate screwdriver. I removed the taps, screwed the spout back on and returned the taps to their rightful place. I was feeling pretty proud of myself....until the next morning during my shower.

Yes, it happened again. As soon as I pulled up on the knobby that makes the water go to the shower head, it fell off again. This time I took the piece with me in a ziploc baggie to Home Depot. I was a little surprised when the man working there suggested a roll of 75 cent teflon tape. Seemed like an easy enough fix...and it was! I repeated the same steps but this time I applied a few rounds of the tape before putting the spout back on. Five showers later, it is still holding up.

There is a certain sense of accomplishment in problem solving and fixing something all on my own. I'm sure this is the first of many experiences like this and I promise I won't blog about them all!!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

WAY TO GO HOME OWNER JANICE! Nothing quite like that feeling of fixing something on your own!!
And I for one want to hear about all the adventures of fixing in your household ... so please blog them!! :)