Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Crokinole....or Crouch as they say



While at my parents' place this weekend, my niece Kaelyn was visiting. I found her conversation to be so amusing I wanted to post about it. She is five and it the most hilarious kid I know!

My curiosity was peeked when she asked Grandpa if they could play "crouch". Dad just looked at her, puzzled. She said it again and he looked to me for help. Something clicked and I said "do you mean crokinole?" "Yeah! That's what I mean!"

So, we got the card table set up and the crokinole board out. Kaelyn & Dad were partners and Mom & I were a team. My dad is a crack player, so Kaelyn was happy to have such a good teammate. I was rather impressed with her knowledge of the game.

When she saw that the "white" team (her and Dad) were consistently winning, her comment was "Grandpa is the best player in the house and you guys are kinda suckin'."  Imagine this coming from a five year old. Hilarious!! At one point, Mom missed a shot and Kaelyn let her know that it was ok as long as she was trying her best. There was lots of encouragement from her...nice try, good try, etc. Then she informed us that she had to "concentrate" while making her shot. :) After missing her target, Dad couldn't help but ask "were you not concentrating?" Her response: "Oh, I accidentally forgot to concentrate that time." She was totally cracking me up!

At one point we were talking about the "kids" (grandkids) having a sleepover at Grammie's house. I asked if I could come and she agreed that I could because I'm an adult-kid which is kinda like a kid.

On the way home we were discussing Aunt Peggy and how she had to be in the hospital because she had fallen and broken her hip. Then she informed my mom that she was glad that she was a nurse because she could tell people what was wrong with them and they didn't have to go to the doctor. UNLESS Mom needed surgery because she can't operate on herself. Then she'd have to go to a doctor.

Hahaha....I enjoyed my time with the munchkin as she kept me laughing most of the time!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heehee, she informed me that the reason they lost the second game was...are you ready... her thumbs kept getting in the way.
She's a firecracker!!!!
Have a great day
Karen

Kathy said...

Aren't kids the best? I didn't know they still made crokinole boards... My family used to play it all the time when I was a kid!

Anonymous said...

Cathy, "Dad" the supreme crockinole player actually made the board. Maybe that's why he is such a master of the game!!