Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Ghomeshi vs. CBC

This weekend, like so many other Canadians, I was shocked by the news that CBC had parted ways with Jian Ghomeshi.

If you know me, you know that I have a huge love for CBC radio. I've also been a fan of Q with Jian since its inception (as evidenced here, here and here.)

I loved the similarities between Jian and my beloved Peter Gzowski ...his smooth voice that I could listen to for hours, his interviewing style, the way he made all things Canadian cool. Q even took over the old Morningside time slot at 10am.

In the 7 years that Q has been on the air, Jian has attracted a new audience of CBC listeners. People that never before would have listened to CBC. Through social media and the Q Youtube channel, his show became so popular that it's now broadcast in other countries. That's pretty amazing.

So, when I got a text on Sunday afternoon informing me "CBC fired Jian" I couldn't believe it. I Immediately googled it and remained puzzled by the simple statement from our public broadcaster.

When I later read Jian's Facebook statement I was shocked. Of course, the topic has been under much scrutiny on the internet since Sunday and during this time, it has been tumbling around in my head. Because people know I'm a fan, they ask my opinion.

Well, I definitely think CBC made the right decision. I think there is more to the story than what we know... and we may never know the true story. But, the more information that comes out, the worse it looks for Jian. If these rumours are true, his actions are inexcusable and horrendous.

I know that media personalities are just that. Personalities. What you see in front of the camera (or behind the microphone) is a well-crafted persona they have developed and their off-camera reality doesn't always match up.

It's difficult for me not to separate the person and the personality. I will miss Jian's voice and interviewing style. He was an excellent radio host and did a lot to put Canada on the map. What a waste.

So, that's my two cents. I will continue to follow the story as it unfolds.

As a postscript, I've just read a Toronto Star article with further accusations. I'm afraid Mr. Ghomeshi has a very real and serious problem. I am sick to think this is the same person that hosted my beloved CBC radio show.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Profoundly well-stated,as always, daughter of mine.