Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Weathering The Storm

There are pivotal moments in life that forever change you. Unfortunately, one of those moments happened last night when I got a phone call from my mom. The words on the other end are ones you never want to hear, "Dad has had a heart attack".

Nothing can prepare you for that and I was in shock when I hung up the phone. I was at work, in the middle of the newscast, so I had to soldier on through the tears. Details were sketchy as I tried to piece together what had happened so I drove to Jo-Anne's house just to be with family. She was ready to go when I got there and we set off for University Hospital.

The entire time my mind was racing. A heart attack is a scary thing and I've heard both sides of the story. There are people that go on to live normal and lengthy lives and those that do not. I had no idea what to expect. Was it a good thing that he was being transported to London from Strathroy? Or did that mean it was more serious? Our drive to the hospital was pretty quiet.

As we were turning into the parking lot, an ambulance with lights and siren was approaching from the opposite direction. Jo-Anne said that was probably Dad and I got a sick feeling in my stomach. She quickly parked and started running to the exit. I followed suit and was pretty scared. After the fact, she told me that she knew he would want to see us and that is why she ran - not because she thought he was dying. It was sobering to see him lifted out of the ambulance and on the stretcher but I was glad to see him and give him a kiss and tell him I loved him.

The next couple of hours were stressful but I was surrounded by my family and that was comforting. However, seeing Dad in pain and the scared look in his eyes was something I don't want to relive. They decided to do an angiogram and inserted a stent. Dad seemed to have instant relief and was feeling much better by the time we left the hospital well after midnight.

My mom (who is still recovering from her knee replacement) is always a rock in these types of situations. It's like she knows that we all need her to be and she just pulls it together. Me, on the other hand, can be summed up by the Patsy Cline song... "I Fall To Pieces".

Please pray for my family as we make our way through this latest challenge.


3 comments:

carmilevy said...

Praying, my friend.

As much as I wish you, your dad and the rest of your family hadn't taken this turn, I know that you'll find a way to find the good in it. Because there's already so much good both within and around you all.

I remember so well when my dad had his first heart attack. I remember how everything seemed to change, at a fundamental level, as it not-so-slowly sank in that this was as serious as it was.

I remember every moment of the journey, and like you, I took the time to pick up a pen and try to capture it. It changes you - it has to - but somehow you end up stronger because of it.

I'll politely disagree with your second-to-last graf: you're a lot more like your mom than you'd lead us to believe. I'll stick with "rock" for you both.

Aussiepomm said...

Carmi 'tipped-me-off' to your dads condition, and I will be saying prayers and keeping you in my thoughts over the coming hours/days/weeks (if necessary) for a speedy recovery...

All the way from Sydney Australia, all the very best...

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Saying a prayer for your family -- your dad, your mom, your sister, and you.
With love from a stranger...
Carmi sent me here. ♥