Friday, January 30, 2009

Janice the Hairstylist



Several years ago, when my company announced a major layoff, my mind got to wondering what I would do, if I were a part of it? What new path would I like to take? One of the ideas I had was to be a hair stylist. This may not seem like much of a goal, but I love getting my hair done and that great feeling when you've got a new look. I think it would be fun to give people that feeling. I am not retraining for this but it has been in the back of my mind for a while.

So, imagine how I felt when Jason let me cut his hair last week!

Quite a while ago, he got a bad haircut at a salon and since he was going to be getting it "fixed" anyway, he asked if I'd like to have a go. I was really nervous and kinda excited! I started with scissors but didn't feel like I was getting anywhere. He gingerly asked if I'd like to use the clippers. So, I gave them a go, but I still felt like I wasn't cutting enough hair. (I was being very cautious) I complained that the clippers weren't cutting enough and would like a different guard for them. Turns out, he only had the one. So, he suggested if I was REALLY careful, I could remove the guard. But I'd have to be really, really careful as it's really easy to make a goof this way. (just ask my friend Elvin whose wife took a bald swipe up the middle of his head!!) Everything was going along fine until I accidentally made a "notch" in the middle of the back of his head. A small "oops" escaped from my lips and that was the end of my haircut. He went to a proper stylist the next day and had it fixed.

I thought that was the end of my career until last weekend. Jason had "haircut" on his list of things to do on Saturday and I have to admit, it was getting a little shaggy. After going to see a movie on Saturday, we tried 2 different places, but we were too late. They were closed for the day. He assured me it was ok and he'd just get one next week.

On Sunday I had dinner at my sister's house and on the way home, I got a text "will you cut my hair?" Hmmm, really? Was he serious? He was willing to give me another chance? This time I was pretty impressed with the results. I didn't touch the front, but I trimmed up the back quite nicely - layers and everything! It is now Friday and he hasn't gone to get it "fixed" and hasn't had any crazy looks this week, so that's good. I will try and get some photos to post on here. Unfortunately I didn't think to take any of the actual event, but will try to get a before/after comparison :)

No comments: